Quackwatch Home Page
Consumer Health I.Q. Test
Do you know which of the following statements are true and which are
false? After you judge the entire list, click on the "Answers to Quiz"
- 1. Everyone should have a complete physical every year or two.
- 2. Fluoride toothpaste works so well that water fluoridation is no
- 3. It is difficult for busy people to eat a balanced diet.
- 4. People intelligent enough to graduate from college are unlikely
to be victimized by quackery.
- 5. Accreditation of a school indicates that a regulatory agency considers
its teachings sound.
- 6. Cigarette smoking is the leading cause of preventable death in the
- 7. Sugar is a major cause of hyperactivity and other childhood behavioral
- 8. No special training is legally required to offer counseling to the
- 9. Taking antioxidant vitamins has been proved to protect against heart
disease, stroke, and cancer.
- 10. Homeopathic remedies are a safe and effective alternative to many
drugs that doctors prescribe.
- 11. Taking large daily doses of vitamin C can cut the incidence of
colds in half.
- 12. People over age 21 should have their blood cholesterol level checked
- 13. The Postal Service screens many ads for mail-order health products
before they are published.
- 14. The American Medical Association can revoke the license of a doctor
who is practicing improperly.
- 15. Recent government reports indicate that the best person to consult
for back pain is a chiropractor.
- 16. Most health-food retailers are well informed about the products
- 17. Protein or amino acid supplements help bodybuilders and other athletes
improve their performance.
- 18. The emergency room of a nonprofit hospital is a relatively inexpensive
place to get medical care.
- 19. Natural cancer cures are being suppressed because drug companies
don't want competition.
- 20. Most health-related books and magazine articles undergo expert
From: Barrett S et al. Consumer Health:
A Guide to Intelligent Decisions, sixth edition, Brown & Benchmark
(McGraw-Hill) 1997. Additional questions will be posted from time to time.
Answers to Quiz ||| Quackwatch Home Page